URGENT VACANCY NMEP
Position: Database Officer (Contract)
Malaria is endemic in Nigeria with 97% of the population at risk of infection. Nigeria contributes a quarter of the African malaria burden. It is a major public health problem in Nigeria; with up to 60% of all outpatients and 30% of hospital admissions attributable to the disease.
The National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) has the mandate for malaria control activities across the country. This includes the monitoring and supervision of all malaria control activities at sub-national levels to ensure compliance with national policies, effective implementation of strategic and operational plans, and timely feedback from the field in form of reports.
The National Health Management Information System (NHMIS) unit of the Department of Planning Research and Statistics (DPRS) of the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) has adopted single national instance architecture, the District Health Information System (DHIS) v.2 for the NHMIS, which is the singular source of critical health data required for planning. Disease control programmes under the FMOH, including NMEP, and partners therefore must align their reporting systems such that all health data feed into the national data base. In addition, NMEP is required to report on the New Funding Model (NFM) achievements through the DHIS, to the Global Fund (GF), having successfully rolled out DHIS training across the country in 2014.
In view of the above, there is a need for NMEP to recruit a Database Officer to support this process of change and ensure that malaria data required for planning and decision making in malaria programming are not only adequately captured, but are also of high quality.
The Database Officer shall be primarily responsible for supporting the current arrangement of NMEP’s programmatic reporting system through paper-based NHMIS, and the full transition to systematic reporting through the electronic platform, DHIS version 2.0 by NMEP and its sub-recipients (SRs). He/She will also perform a variety of data management tasks and ensure high quality and timely reporting both at national and sub-national levels.
The Database Officer shall work in close collaboration with the other staff of M&E NMEP and specifically under the direct supervision of the Data Manager and general oversight of the M&E Manager, GF NMEP.
Generally, the Database Officer will,
· Make available, high quality data on a regular and timely basis for programmatic decision making;
· Conduct regular data quality assessments, and ensure the completeness, consistency and validity of routine data;
· Analyse facility-level data and produce high quality reports on a monthly basis;
· Collate in a timely manner, supporting documents of States and SRs for the programmatic PUDR and the validation of such;
· Double check data sets submitted by states and SRs for completeness, timeliness and validity;
· Identify and report outliers/missing data to the Data Manager for feedback to States/SRs/Field M&E Officers;
· Provide hands-on mentoring of health facility staff handling data periodically.
Upon full roll out of DHIS Vs.2.0, the Database Officer shall
· Liaise with DPRS to ensure that all sites offering malaria services are captured on the DHIS and malaria modules are created;
· Group service delivery points under NMEP in the national database by projects for ease of analysis and reporting;
· In collaboration with state NHMIS Officers/SRs, analyse data from HFs offering malaria services;
· Participate in capacity building for national and sub-national officers on DHIS vs.2.0
· Respond to trouble shooting on DHIS from Sub-recipients and state-level implementers with respect to malaria data retrieval and use;
· Maintain activity log and keep records of work completed;
· Analyze malaria data according to the indicators presented in the NMEP M&E SOP and contribute to preparation of quarterly report and bulletins;
· Carry out other activities as may be delegated.
Required Skills and Competencies:
· First degree in a health-related field, Mathematics, Computer Science or Statistics;
· Masters in Informatics, Public Health or Biostatistics will be an advantage;
· At least 3 years’ experience in database management and/or monitoring and evaluation of programs;
· Demonstrable experience in data analyses & data use for decision making;
· Experience in the development field would be an added advantage;
· Proficiency in DHIS database management is compulsory;
· Demonstrable experience with statistical software packages (Stata, SPSS, Epi Info);
· Good understanding of the Nigerian health system at national and sub-national levels;
· Demonstrable understanding of NHMIS processes and indicators;
· Excellent analytical, writing and presentation skills (written and oral);
· Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve problems;
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills and demonstrated ability to both lead and serve as member of teams;
· Ability to multi-task, work independently, and meet deadlines.
The location is NMEP, Abuja.
PUBLICATIONS / VACANCY
1. HR SPECIALIST
2. PSM MANAGER
3. M&E MANAGER
4. PROCUREMENT OFFICER
We have 22 guests and no members online